Richard W. Lieban Endowed Scholarship for Anthropology
This scholarship will be awarded to one anthropology graduate student per semester who is at the dissertation write-up stage and has a minimum 3.5 GPA. Students should submit a letter of recommendation: from their academic advisor, current curriculum vitae, and letter of application that includes: 1) date of admittance to PhD program; 2) GPA; 3) one-paragraph dissertation abstract; 4) indication of progress on dissertation, including drafts of chapters completed and expected date of graduation; 5) previous, current, and pending sources of funding. Do not send chapter drafts with the application. Students will only be allowed to receive this scholarship once during their graduate career in the department.
Funds available: Spring and Fall
Application Deadline: March 15 and October 15
Announcement of Award: March 30 and October 30
Criteria for selection:
- progress in PhD program and closeness to defending dissertation (indicated by completed chapters seen by their academic advisor)
- general achievement (indicated by GPA, letter from advisor)
- general worthiness of project (indicated by dissertation abstract, letter from advisor, recipient of external funding or grant for dissertation research etc.)
- extramural grants
- presentations at professional meetings
- organizing panels at professional meetings
The goal of this award is to support, reward, and/or promote future professionals. Therefore, the criteria for selection emphasize pre-professional activities, such as grants, publications, presentations at meetings. The awards committee will not be asked to judge the relative merits of the dissertation projects.
page last updated February 4, 2011